This course acquaints the student with the types of emergencies that may arise in the dental office. The students will learn the procedures to follow when medical and dental emergencies occur, the importance and significance of obtaining accurate and complete patient histories, the proper emergency equipment necessary in a dental office to manage these emergencies and the maintenance of that equipment, and the taking and recording of vital signs. Group 2 course.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Define terminology related to emergencies.
- Describe the areas of responsibility for each team member when preparing for and/or managing an emergency.
- State the uses of commonly used emergency medications.
- Identify the symptoms of medical emergencies.
- Identify the symptoms of dental emergencies.
- Demonstrate vital signs recording procedures.
- Describe the treatment of medical emergencies.
- Describe the treatment of dental emergencies.
- Critique medical emergency simulations to determine condition, potential cause, and treatment.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Work collaboratively to address emergency situations in the dental office with the goal of preventing or lessening the severity of the situation.
Learning How to Learn:
- Describe the ethical standards related to dental personnel while managing emergency situations.
- Identify sources of information on medical and dental emergencies that will assist the student with being successful on board exams.