The integration of the arts in early education will be explored and implemented for children birth to 10 years of age. Each age group (infant/toddler, preschooler and school-age) receives a minimum of 10 classroom hours of focused study related to the course content. There will be a focus on the integration of studio art, music, dance and drama in early childhood curriculum planning, practice and implementation. Observation and practicum hours in an early care setting will be required. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies ECE 101
, ECE 204
, and placement into ENG 11
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify major issues in education that directly relate to the integration of creative arts into curriculum.
- Investigate the importance of using children's creative expression and interests to promote learning in the curriculum.
- Develop creative arts experiences and investigations for daily curricular planning including all age groups.
- Integrate the real world arts and cultural diversity into the curriculum and classroom environment.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Investigate the affective domain in teaching young children.
- Develop the interpersonal teaching skills to interact appropriately and positively with young children in care.
Learning How to Learn:
- Actively advocate for the well-being of children and families in their community.
- Analyze their own learning skills to complete their course success plan.