This is a hands-on course intended to reinforce MNG 321
and MNG 322
. Students will disassemble, inspect, and reassemble machinery typical of what is found aboard ship. Machinery condition will be noted and recommendations made. Machinery records will be updated. STCW.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the theory of operation for all components relating to the marine steam system.
- Demonstrate the operation of components of a steam propulsion system.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a steam propulsion system.
- Discern the importance of proper operation of a steam propulsion systems used onboard merchant vessels.
- Demonstrate proper operation of the components of a steam propulsion system.
- Determine how to properly operate a steam propulsion system.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Recognize the importance of properly maintaining the components of a steam propulsion system.
- Recognize the importance of proper watch keeping on a merchant vessel which employs steam propulsion.
Learning How to Learn:
- Identify the expectations of a licensed engineering officer onboard a vessel.
- Apply experiential knowledge toward becoming an officer.