The purpose of this course is to begin to develop a cadet's piloting and watch management skills. The use of the Shiphandling Simulator/Academy Vessels will allow the development of the Bridge Team Concept through piloting exercises.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Manage a navigation watch in confined waters.
- Describe the legal framework with respect to watchstanding on U.S. flag merchant vessel.
- Plan a navigation watch for a vessel that is operating in confined waters.
- Manage a navigation watch for a vessel that is operating in confined waters.
- Describe the applicable laws and international treaties with respect to watchstanding.
- Demonstrate basic ship-handling as a 3rd officer.
- Apply all U.S.C.G. regulations, harbor regulations and rules as required.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Describe the Nautical Rules of Road.
- Carry out the orders of the master.
Learning How to Learn:
- Relate serving as an officer on a large commercial vessel with their responsibilities as the user of shared waterways.
- Apply simulation experiences to real-world applications.