The student is introduced to educational and training requirements for employment in law enforcement, police community relations, the functions and objectives of a police department and the police response and responsibilities to the community. Student must be registered with LWE coordinator prior to class enrollment. Group 2 course.
Must be approved by MCOLES and registered with the Director of the Police Academy prior to enrollment.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the Police operations system.
- Articulate key concepts, terms, relationships and relative to police operations.
- Demonstrate competence in the role of Police Officer through field scenarios and Police Reports.
- Describe the relationship of police operations and the role within society.
- Compare and contrast the relationship between the police organization and the community in which it serves.
- Critique real-life situations based on course material.
- Employ problem solving strategies and make decisions relative to police employment.
- I moved this here because this outcome requires students to use all that they know to problem solve and make decisions.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Articulate how police interaction with the community affects the ability of the police office to fulfill their duties.
- Articulate how applying the relevant law appropriately will obtain the best outcome for police - society relations.
Learning How to Learn:
- Describe ethical implications to policing.
- Describe the societal changes and how they affect the expectations of police officers by society.
- Identify their best learning modality.
- Apply course concepts when interpreting police situations in real-life scenarios.