In this course, students will learn and practice current security assessment techniques. This includes the ability to plan/scope an assessment, understand legal/compliance requirements, perform vulnerability scanning/penetrations tests and analyze/report on their findings. This course aligns with the CompTIA Pentest+ certification exam. Group 2 course.
Required Prerequisites CIT 240
, or instructor permission.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Passing of CompTIA Security+ certification exam.
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Summarize security penetration techniques used to compromise systems.
- Summarize the importance of planning for an engagement.
- Compare and contrast different attacks and exploits.
- Summarize different types of attacks.
- Summarize mitigation strategies for discovered vulnerabilities.
- Summarize reporting and communication techniques for disclosing results.
- Develop a plan and scope for an engagement.
- Perform penetration tests using security tools.
- Analyze and report results of tests performed.
- Evaluate penetration tools base on best practices.
- Discuss the importance of performing penetration tests and vulnerability assessments.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Discuss how security assessments (or lack of) impact stakeholders.
- Collaborate work with others to complete a desired outcome.
Learning How to Learn:
- Explore ethical dilemmas related to security.
- Discuss corporate responsibility as it pertains to security.
- Seek out solutions to problems on their own.
- Research available resources on security.