This course provides an introduction to the principles and techniques used for site assessment, remediation strategies, and monitoring techniques of contaminated groundwater and soils. Areas of emphasis include an overview of Phase I/II environmental site assessments (ESA), Environmental Impact Statements (EIS), Site Health and Safety Plans (HASP), and the practice of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) commonly used in various industries. Group 2 course.
Required Prerequisites WSI 106
, placement into ENG 111
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies GEO 115
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Communications - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify and define the required components of completing a Phase I environmental site assessment.
- Demonstrate the process of completing a Phase I site assessment without error.
- Explain the impacts of various contaminants on soil, surface water, and groundwater.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Interact directly with teams in a field environment.
Learning How to Learn:
- Describe the human health effects of various contaminants.
- Practice preparing various reports used by environmental field technicians.