This course is required of all Maritime Academy cadets who are Midshipmen in the Merchant Marine Reserve/U.S. Naval Reserve program. It familiarizes the student with naval missions and heritage as well as to assist the Merchant Marine officer make the transition from civilian to sailor. Group 2 course.
Required Prerequisites MNS 100
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe U.S. Naval customs and courtesies, rank structure, and insignia.
- Describe the missions and functions of US Navy warfare communities including their roles in maritime strategy.
- Define the role of commissioned officers as members of the US Armed Forces.
- Synthesize course materials making connections and uncovering patterns.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as civilian mariners who hold an obligation to the U.S. in time of need.
Learning How to Learn:
- Conceptualize the significance of changing roles from civilians to sailor to civilians.
- Develop learning plans based on current events.