This course is designed to introduce students to the physical training and the creative thought process involved in executing modern dance as an art form. This course will consist of technique, improvisation, and creative problem solving through movement. Modern dance and its relationship to music and the historical development of modern dance will also be explored. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies DNC 101
or previous experience.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Develop technical skills in modern dance.
- Identify problem solving using improvisational techniques.
- Develop an overview of the history of modern dance.
- Develop a kinesthetic understanding of dance and its relationship to music.
- Develop rehearsal and performance skills in modern dance.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in modern dance.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as artists.
- Collaborate with others in a creative environment.
- Recognize the personal and societal importance of self-expression and creativity.
Learning How to Learn:
- Express interest in music from other cultures and genres.
- Value differences in cultural expressions of creativity.
- Recognize the role music plays as an expression of social concerns.
- Read study effectively.
- Frame useful questions.
- Develop educational goals.
- Direct/regulate their own learning.
- Learn through collaboration.