This course is for the student that has a desire to experience woodworking in the area of basic cabinet and furniture. Techniques in the usage and maintaining of basic hand and power tools, understanding of how wood movement will affect design of an assembly, application of basic joinery, adhesives, and fasteners in the woodworking completion of this class establishes a foundation in which the student can build simple furniture and cabinets. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Students will greatly benefit from having competency up to MTH111.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe grain orientation in product design.
- Predict grain growth and movement.
- Create a product managing tools, time and materials.
- Distinguish the intent of structural patterns.
- Integrate wood and tool knowledge to produce quality products.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Appreciate the time and effort put into woodworking projects.
- Interpret what the customer wants.
Learning How to Learn:
- Reflect on the rewarding and self-gratifying experience of completing a good wood-working project.
- Organize and manage their time.