The course will introduce major trends of Western Art from Pre-History through Greece, Rome and the Middle Ages. Significant works of painting, sculpture and architecture will be presented within the social, political and cultural context of each period. Group 1 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies ENG 111
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Other college designations supported by this course
Degree Req:Cultural Persp/Div
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe historical periods and events that influenced culture and art.
- Describe the critical thinking patterns of art scholars.
- Describe how geographic location influences art.
- Identify art historical data when shown images.
- Compare stylistic characteristics from different civilizations, historical periods and media.
- Make informed judgments about artwork.
- Uncover patterns, similarities and influences in art periods.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- form opinions and articulate them to others.
Learning How to Learn:
- Express an appreciation for the history of western art.
- Interact constructively when articulating viewpoints to others.