Students perform design surveys and conduct construction layout for infrastructure. Major topics include using horizontal and vertical control, establishing alignment, obtaining topographic information, determining grades, horizontal and vertical curves, completion of construction plans, computation of earthwork quantities, and field stakeout. Students will use this knowledge in both field and office environments. Group 2 course
Required Prerequisites MTH 121
or higher, SVR 110
, SVR 120
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Demonstrate competency in conducting a design survey and construction layout.
- Collect data in order to prepare construction plans and perform layouts.
- Integrate data collection, mathematical calculations, CAD and the physical layout of infrastructure.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Coordinate with teammates to complete course projects.
Learning How to Learn:
- Examine the importance the surveyor's role in establishing and maintaining vital infrastructure.
- Construct a portfolio that documents each phase of the survey process.