A small ensemble of men's and women's voices rehearses and performs vocal jazz works. Develop skills in vocal jazz styles, blending harmonies, microphone technique, and jazz theory. Group 2 course.
Required Prerequisites MUS 136B
, pervious choral experience or instructor permission.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify techniques for vocal jazz ensemble performance, combining the elements of jazz rhythms, melodies, harmonies and ensemble blend.
- Successfully participate in rehearsals as would be required on a professional level.
- Demonstrate knowledge of musical elements.
- Demonstrate tone production competencies.
- Demonstrate microphone technique with a sound system.
- Demonstrate performance convention competencies through the concert repertoire.
- Demonstrate language competencies through the concert repertoire.
- Demonstrate musicality competencies through the concert repertoire.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as artists.
- Collaborate with others in a creative environment.
- Recognize the personal and societal importance of self-expression and creativity.
Learning How to Learn:
- Express interest in music from other cultures and genres.
- Value differences in cultural expressions of creativity.
- Recognize the role music plays as an expression of social concerns.
- Read study effectively.
- Frame useful questions.
- Develop educational goals.
- Direct/regulate their own learning.
- Learn through collaboration.