A practical course to understand the use and operation of a marine radar; including: how to avoid collision situations using Rapid Radar Plotting. This required course must be successfully completed before the student may receive an original “Radar Observer Certificate”. STCW
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Corequisites MDK 331
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies ENG 111
and MTH 111
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe navigational theories relating to RADAR navigation and collision avoidance.
- Demonstrate proper operation of navigational radar equipment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in rapid radar transfer plotting.
- Demonstrate proficiency with radar equipment; Radar Transfer Plotting Sheeting and Indicator Reflection Plotters.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as proficient officers prepared to make informed decisions regarding radar.
Learning How to Learn:
- Recognize the importance of using electronic advanced navigational equipment to safely navigate a vessel.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for Officer in Charge of a Navigation Watch: 1.4.A, 1.4.B, 2.1 D, 2.1.E, 2.1.F, 2.1.G, 3.2, 3.3.A, 3.4.