Art Appreciation is a course which allows for a great deal of exploration into the world of art as we see it. The course provides an avenue for understanding this world by investigating technique, media, idea, personal expression and meaning. In examining personal expression, surrounding issues and their effect upon society will also be analyzed. Students in this course will develop a foundation for understanding art through analytical observation, examination, interpretation and writing about art. Group 1 course.
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe historical periods and events which influence art.
- Describe the critical thinking patterns of art scholars.
- Describe design principles and elements used in works of art.
- Differentiate among art media.
- Identify historical, cultural and artist data when shown images.
- Explain techniques for creating 2D and 3D visual art.
- Demonstrate a visual art vocabulary.
- Will analyze form and content of artwork.
- Compare and contrast artwork from different historical periods, cultures, media, styles, and production techniques.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Form opinions and articulate them to others.
Learning How to Learn:
- Express an appreciation for different art media, techniques, historical influences and artistic approaches.
- Interact constructively when articulating viewpoints to others.