This course is intended to acquaint the Cadet to the every day management and administrative activities confronting the Marine Engineer. The Cadet will be introduced to management and personnel skills necessary to deal with people problems peculiar to the marine environment. General issues of alcohol, drug abuse, and sexual harassment in the marine environment will be discussed, and placed in perspective with USCG and STCW protocols.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Corequisites MNG 455
, MNG 496
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the duties of an engineering watch officer.
- Prepare administrative reports expected of engineering officers.
- Demonstrate the proper watching standing procedures.
- Perform the functions required of a senior engineering officer.
- Demonstrate competency as an engineering watch officer during simulated situations.
- Demonstrate the proper procedure for shipping and receiving of materials aboard ship.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Describe the (licensed and unlicensed) union regulation and operation for the engine room.
- Demonstrate the appropriate procedures to be taken when confronted with a personnel dispute.
Learning How to Learn:
- Define the expectations of an engineering watch officer in a pollution emergency.
- Recognize the rationale behind the regulations (USCG) that control the engine room.
- Properly manage an engineering watch as a third assistant engineer.