Piano study for the beginning or near-beginning student. Cultivation of technical-musical awareness and keyboard playing ability, individually and in ensemble. Group 2 Course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
An understanding of music fundamentals.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify basic elements of music notation such as clefs, pitches, and elements of rhythm.
- Identify intervals and triads.
- Identify simple syncopated rhythms.
- Identify simple harmonic progressions.
- Play 5 finger patterns and triads in all major and minor keys.
- Play major scales 1-2 octaves, HS, and some HT.
- Play chord progressions using I, IV, and V.
- Play triads of the key.
- Play inversions of triads.
- Harmonize and transpose melodies.
- Play solo and ensemble repertoire.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as artists.
- Collaborate with others in a creative environment.
- Recognize the personal and societal importance of self-expression and creativity.
Learning How to Learn:
- Express interest in music from other cultures and genres.
- Value differences in cultural expressions of creativity.
- Recognize the role music plays as an expression of social concerns.
- Read study effectively.
- Frame useful questions.
- Develop educational goals.
- Direct/regulate their own learning.
- Learn through collaboration.