This course is designed for the student who wishes to acquire basic knowledge and techniques for guitar playing. The instruction introduces the basic information of music notation, as well as mechanical skills for the development of individual playing ability. The format is a structured approach covering hand position, fundamentals of reading music and chord knowledge. Repertoire will include Folk music, popular music and the Blues, and will utilize both strumming and picking techniques. Group 2 course.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify standard notation symbols for pitches in the treble clef and rhythm down to 1/16 note values.
- Develop sufficient hand coordination for smooth strumming, changing of chords through a song structure and rhythmic picking.
- Play from lead sheets, sheet music, and chord charts, and establish familiarity with music in the Blues style.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as artists.
- Collaborate with others in a creative environment.
- Recognize the personal and societal importance of self-expression and creativity.
Learning How to Learn:
- Express interest in music from other cultures and genres.
- Value differences in cultural expressions of creativity.
- Recognize the role music plays as an expression of social concerns.
- Read study effectively.
- Frame useful questions.
- Develop educational goals.
- Direct/regulate their own learning.
- Learn through collaboration.