This course is a one-week field course. It will focus on the fundamentals of map interpretation and generation. Students will gain a basic understanding of the principles of cartography and field mapping techniques employed by various disciplines in the acquisition of spatial data. Group 1 course.
Required Prerequisites MTH 23
, instructor permission required
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies ENG 111
, completion of any Science course with laboratory
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the methodologies and equipment used in the acquisition and assimilation of field data.
- Properly display spatial data collected in the field in map form.
- Create a detailed topographic map of a selected area.
- Integrate mathematical skills in the assimilation of field data collected.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Work cooperatively to collect field data.
Learning How to Learn:
- Discover the importance of accurate mapping to society and landowners.
- Incorporate course concepts to real-life applications.