This course uses the Engineering Simulators to strengthen the watch standing skills of the engineering cadet. The cadet will be required to operate shipboard systems, manage engine room personnel, and become familiar with preparing reports required in the operation of a modern engine room.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Corequisites MNG 466
, MNG 496
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Demonstrate proficiency as an entry level engineering officer.
- Demonstrate correct operational procedure for each engineering system.
- Demonstrate proficiency in maintenance of engineering systems key to merchant vessel operation.
- Demonstrate proficiency on pre-defined tasks in simulation exercises.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as officers making informed decisions based on the known advantages and disadvantages of a ships and it's crews capabilities.
Learning How to Learn:
- Use advanced electronic navigational equipment in order to safely navigate a vessel.
- Apply academic learning experiences to future sailing encounters as a licensed officer.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies for Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch: 1.4.