This course is a study of song forms, notation of rhythms, chord symbols, key and time signatures, and familiarization with lead sheets and scores as commonly used in Pop and Jazz. This course will provide students the knowledge needed to work in a variety of musical genres and mediums. Group 2 course.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify song forms, song structure.
- Identify scales, modes, rhythmic notation, melodic notation, time signatures, key signatures.
- Identify chord symbols, 7th chords, tri-tones.
- Identify lead sheets, tablature, Nashville notation, and transposition.
- Compare and Contrast song forms, song structure, and lead sheets.
- Create lead sheets, tablature, and Nashville notation.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as artists.
- Collaborate with others in a creative environment.
- Recognize the personal and societal importance of self-expression and creativity.
Learning How to Learn:
- Express interest in music from other cultures and genres.
- Value differences in cultural expressions of creativity.
- Recognize the role music plays as an expression of social concerns.
- Read study effectively.
- Frame useful questions.
- Develop educational goals.
- Direct/regulate their own learning.
- Learn through collaboration.