Yoga techniques focus on understanding and controlling the body, the breath, and the mind through exercises (asans), breathing techniques (pranayamas), and meditation training (quieting the mind and body). Yoga poses are designed to develop strength and give maximum flexibility to the muscular, skeletal, and nervous systems with special emphasis on building a strong, supple spine. Benefits include improved circulation, hormonal balance, poise, and a more stable emotional nature. Learning proper breathing will help you cope with stress and increase your energy level. Wear loose, comfortable, layered clothing and plan to work barefooted. Bring two blankets, a mat, and a bath towel. Group 2 course. Prerequisite(s): DNC 131
or instructor permission.
Required Prerequisites DNC 131
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Explain the purpose of Yoga practice including the benefits for the body, breath and mind.
- Demonstrate basic poses with proper breathing techniques.
- Integrate poses, breathing and relaxation techniques.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Reflect on the importance of inner balance created by doing Yoga.
Learning How to Learn:
- Demonstrate caring by respecting other's space while doing Yoga within community settings.
- Utilize Yoga to benefit their health in daily practice.