This course will delve into current issues in the field of power production, including such areas as local, state, and federal requirements and interfaces. Renewable energy such as solar, wind, and biomass will be covered in detail. The future of energy and how it affects society will be explored. The student will develop an understanding of issues currently facing the power production issue.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the different forms of energy production.
- Describe future trends regarding energy production.
- Define the local and national certification and licensing procedures regarding energy production.
- Describe how power is generated in an industrial setting.
- Locate the regulations which apply to a power generation facility.
- Integrate federal and state regulations concerning energy.
- Apply specific codes and regulation involved in the day to day operation of a power generation facility.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Discuss the future of energy and how it affects society will be explored.
- Describe the issues currently facing the power production issue.
- Compare occupations similar to seagoing engineering officer.
Learning How to Learn:
- Examine the future of energy and how it affects society.
- Review current pollution laws and new green technologies.
- Determine the cost implications of energy production.
- Formulate an understanding of the cost implications of energy production.