Introductory course exploring the practice of data analytics. Using current business intelligence tools, students will learn data modeling, visualization, and analytical techniques. Power Pivot and Power Query will be used to import, cleanse, and shape data. Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) are then used to create simple to complex calculations within Power BI before creating interactive visualizations that bring big data to life. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Familiarity with spreadsheets.
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify common data analytics concepts.
- Identify industry standards including best-practice guidelines.
- Import data from multiple sources.
- Perform transformations and cleanse data.
- Create and format interactive visualizations.
- Build custom reporting solutions.
- Uncover patterns in real-world data from a variety of industries.
- Make projections based on sample past performance data.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Describe the role and impact that "big data" has on the day-to-day lives of individuals and businesses.
Learning How to Learn:
- Describe how their personal data is used by corporations.
- Reflect on their duty to maintain and protect the personal data of others.
- Identify sites that explain data analytics concepts.