This course will assist the students in the development of safety skills and the appropriate use of firearms in completing the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards basic firearms course. Included will be an orientation to firearms, policies, procedures, and liability of firearms use and hands-on firearms range techniques. Student must be registered with LWE coordinator prior to class enrollment. Group 2 course.
Must be approved by MCOLES and registered with the Director of the Police Academy prior to enrollment.
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify marksmanship fundamentals, implications of use of force, and the correct tactical aspects of combat shooting.
- Students will describe the importance of safety and related legal issues.
- Demonstrate competence in the use of firearms and assault rifles in the field to certified firearms instructors.
- Describe the effectiveness of each weapon and cleaning / maintaining procedures.
- Demonstrate proficiency in firearms through the use of course material, scenarios, and live range fire.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Articulate how to use knowledge gained from the course in regards to; firearm use, force continuum, and the appropriate response of actions.
- See him/herself as an officer.
Learning How to Learn:
- Describe the role that stress has in police organizations affecting officers and their families.
- Correlate how to utilize outside resources to provide for individuals involved in their daily encounters.
- Identify their best learning modality.
- Critique real-life situations based on course concepts.