This course of instruction covers the following: concentrated instruction and training for the U.S. Coast Guard certification as Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue boats (PSC); including the fundamentals of seamanship, small boat handling with power and sail; construction equipment, and marking of the standard lifeboat; construction, equipment, and operation of inflatable life rafts; abandon ship procedures, man overboard procedures, and survival swimming; the launching and retrieval of lifeboats; sailboat nomenclature and operation. STCW.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the nomenclature of the equipment legally required to be contained onboard a lifeboat on a merchant vessel.
- Identify the nomenclature of lifeboat davits.
- Define proper terminology of primary lifesaving equipment.
- Safely launch a lifeboat from a davit.
- Launch and retrieve a fast rescue boat.
- Command a lifeboat according to proper protocols.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Lead a team responsible for launching a lifeboat.
- Learn to work as a team on a skill set that is crucial to minimizing loss of life during a merchant vessel casualty.
Learning How to Learn:
- Discern the critical nature to safe operation of lifesaving equipment.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for basic training: 1.1.A, 1.2.A, 1.3.A, 1.3.B, 1.3.C, 1.4.A, 1.5.A, 1.6.A, 1.7.A, 1.8.A, 1.9.A, 1.10.A, 1.11.A, 1.12.A, 1.12.B, 1.13.B, 1.14.A, 1.14.B, 1.14.C, 1.14.D, 1.14.E, 1.14.F, 1.14.G, 1.14.H, 1.14.I, 1.14.J, 1.14.K, 1.14.L, 1.14.M, 1.14.N.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for proficiency in survival craft: 1.1.A, 1.1.B, 1.1.C, 1.3.B, 1.3.C, 1.3.D, 1.4.A, 1.4.C, 1.5.A, 1.6.A, 1.8.A, 3.1.A, 3.1.B, 3.2.A, 3.3.A, 3.4.A, 3.5.A, 3.5.B, 3.6.A, 3.7.A, 3.8.A, 4.1.A, 4.1.B, 4.2.A.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for ratings forming part of a navigation watch: 4.1.B, 4.1.C, 4.2.A, 4.3.A.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for able seafarer-deck: 7.1.A.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for officer in charge of a navigation watch: 5.1.A, 5.3.A, 15.1.A, 18.2.A, 19.1.A.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for officer in charge of an engineering Watch: 17.1A