This course provides both classroom theory and hands-on practicum/field operations performed individually and in groups. Emphasis areas include demonstrating techniques of sonar operations critical to sonar performance, sonar data collection and data interpretation for use in marine engineering, survey and underwater construction activities. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Prior use of sonar equipment in marine engineering applications.
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Develop operational competencies of sonar systems.
- Evaluate sonar returns for documentation of subsurface features.
- Compare acoustic data to construction drawings.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Observe special techniques used in sonar operations.
Learning How to Learn:
- Evaluate safety and integrity of subsurface structures through the use of sonar.
- Interpret acoustic returns for evaluating engineering controls.