A comprehensive study of the concepts and practices of first aid techniques. The course provides training for emergency care through assessment, critical thinking, implementation, documentation, and evaluation. It also addresses situations when injury or sudden illness becomes a threat to life, or problems develop that endanger physical or psychological well-being. Certification for CPR for the Professional Rescuer and a Certificate of Completion for Law Enforcement Responders will be obtained by students who successfully complete the course.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify the signs and symptoms of a possible heart attack.
- Identify the major risk factors for cardiovascular disease and injury.
- Identify the signs and symptoms of cardiac arrest.
- Identify the signs and symptoms of medical and behavioral emergencies, including altered mental status, seizures, poisoning, heat and cold emergencies, and stroke.
- Describe common types of emergencies in infants and children both medical and trauma.
- Implement body substance isolation techniques to prevent disease transmission.
- Demonstrate the appropriate methods to move a victim in an emergency.
- Demonstrate how to assess a victim's condition.
- Demonstrate how to use breathing devices in specific emergent situations.
- Demonstrate how to provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Demonstrate how to control life-threatening bleeding conditions.
- Describe how to care for someone who is experiencing persistent chest pain and/or other signs and symptoms of heart attack.
- Implement the care for various soft tissue and musculoskeletal injuries.
- Demonstrate both general and specific care for medical and behavioral emergencies.
- Explain what happens in the body if one or more body systems fail to function.
- Implement care for breathing emergencies, such as airway obstruction.
- Describe how to minimize the effects of shock (hypoperfusion).
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Describe steps to assure the well-being of the first responder.
Learning How to Learn:
- Explain how the EMS system works.
- Explain how the first responder's role in the EMS system differs from that of a citizen responder's role.
- Identify safety guidelines for self and participants at an emergency scene.