First level lecture for all students enrolled in a Welding Technology Degree or Certificate Program. Course will cover theory and technique for Shielded Metal Arc Welding, Gas Metal Arc Welding, and Oxy Fuel Processes for welding, brazing, and cutting. Group 2 course.
Corequisites WPT 112
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Understand and use terminology common to the welding trade as defined by the American Welding Society.
- Identify safety hazards.
- Name common industry Personal Protective Equipment.
- Apply knowledge of process fundamentals to hypothetical problems.
- Use formulae to calculate Wire Feed Speed, Volume, Mass, etc.
- Incorporate Ohm's Law into their understanding of arc welding processes.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Recognize the importance of weld quality on the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
Learning How to Learn:
- Be aware in their personal impact on the quality of the projects in which they are involved.
- Evaluate hypothetical applications and determine efficacy of different processes.