This course provides instruction in the organization, administrative functions, and management of a merchant vessel as well as the systems of operation of ship's business. It includes the study of union contracts, grievance procedures and labor management relations.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify vocabulary across a variety of ship's business topics.
- Complete ship's business forms across a variety of topics.
- Analyze the duties of a senior officer in accordance with applicable law and international treaties.
- Compose a leadership philosophy in accordance with senior officer administrative duties.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Practice effective communication and collaboration skills as a team member.
Learning How to Learn:
- Recognize the importance of ethical behavior aboard a ship.
- Examine course content utilizing strategies to prepare for standardized comprehensive testing.