During this course the cadet is on board the TS State of Michigan. The cadet follows a prescribed course of study in vessel operations with particular emphasis on engine room and auxiliary equipment, including safety requirements. In addition, the cadet spends eight hours a day under the supervision of a licensed officer gaining experience in various engineering duties and responsibilities. STCW.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the operation of a Great Lakes diesel vessel.
- Accrue first-hand experience on large vessel operations.
- Develop skills working with: ship's safety and firefighting equipment, ship's engineering equipment, shipboard bilge and ballast systems, shipboard lubrication and cooling water systems, and vessel engine intake and exhaust systems.
- Describe the duties/responsibilities of a merchant marine engineering officer based on their internship experience.
- Meet a ship Chief Engineer's expectations by integrating academic knowledge into real-world situations.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Reflect on the importance of functioning as both a follower and a leader.
Learning How to Learn:
- Describe the importance of teamwork within a diverse workforce and culture.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for Ratings Forming Part of an Engineering Watch: 1.1.A, 1.1.D, 1.1.F, 1.1.G, 1.1.H (M/G), 1.1.J, 1.1.K, 1.2.A, 1.2.C, 1.2.D, 1.2.F, 1.3.C, 2.1.A, 2.1.B, 2.2.A, 2.2.B, 4.1.A, 4.2.A, 4.2.B.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code KUPs for Able Seafarer-Engine Task numbers: 3.1.A, 5.1.A, 5.1.B, 7.1.A, 7.2.A, 7.3.A, 7.4.A, 8.1.A, 8.1.B,.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code KUPs for Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch: 1.1.A, 1.1.B, 1.1.E, 1.1.F, 3.1.A, 4.3.W, 5.2.A, 5.2.B, 5.2.C, 5.2.D, 5.2.E, 7.5.B, 7.5.C, 8.3.A, 10.1.A, 16.3.A,.