This internship is a continuation of MDK 210
and is designed to provide the cadet with advanced knowledge and sailing time to meet the licensing requirements prescribed by the U.S. Coast Guard and the criteria established by the Maritime Administration. STCW.
Completion to second academic year with a 2.0 or higher in all required courses. All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Learn large vessel operations at a more advanced level.
- Learn vessel safety procedures at a more advanced level.
- Learn how to use navigational equipment at a more advanced level.
- Spend a minimum of eight hours per day under the supervision of licensed officers gaining experience in various duties and responsibilities.
- Continue to learn how to connect the knowledge they have accrued at the academy, , with the expectations that a ship's master has of licensed mates.
- Gain expertise regarding operation of a large vessel and the skills required to serve as an officer on such a vessel.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Continue to develop as, and view themselves as merchant marine officers.
- Begin to view themselves as pilots as well as deck officers.
Learning How to Learn:
- Learn the importance of teamwork.
- Learn that they will be working and living with a diverse workforce.
- Continue to develop learn time management skills as they will be serving an internship onboard a vessel that is in operation 24/7.
- Responsible for completion of a comprehensive sea project that will be graded and assessed by GLMA faculty.