Bridge resource management will be taught using small group discussions, case studies and simulation exercises. Areas that will be addressed will be route planning, watch management, pilotage of specific routes and ship handling from a 3rd mates perspective. The three hour class will start with a 30 minute group discussion of the class objective, then exercises followed by a critique of the exercises. STCW.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Properly conduct route planning, watch management, pilotage of specific routes' ship handling from a licensed officer's perspective.
- Describe navigational watch and watch relief principles.
- Use navigational equipment to maintain a safe navigational watch.
- Demonstrate blind pilotage techniques (navigation in restricted visibility.).
- Maintain a safe navigational watch.
- Apply task and workload management skills.
- Apply effective resource management.
- Demonstrate proficiency in managing a vessel bridge team in a variety of scenarios.
- Demonstrate correct operational procedures for each navigation system.
- Critique bridge team maneuvers experienced through simulation activities.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as competent officers empowered to command a ship and its' crew.
- Incorporate international maritime conventions, recommendations, and national legislation in their decision-making process as an officer.
- Develop competencies in different in roles (mate, wheel, navigator) as a member of the bridge team through simulation experiences.
Learning How to Learn:
- Use advanced electronic navigational equipment to safely navigate a vessel ensuring the safety of shared waterways, and minimizing the risk of collusion and pollution.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for Officer in Charge of a Navigation Watch: 2.2.A-E, 2.3.A-C, 2.4.A, 2.5.A, 2.7.A-B, 2.7.D-G, 18.2.C, 18.3.A, 18.4.A.