During this internship the cadet is aboard TS State of Michigan or a Great Lakes commercial vessel. The cadet follows a prescribed course and studies: vessel operations, safety and navigation equipment and techniques. In addition the cadet spends a minimum of eight hours per day under the supervision of licensed officers gaining experience in various duties and responsibilities. STCW.
Must complete first academic year with a 2.0 or higher in all required courses. All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Show knowledge of; safety equipment and procedures, terrestrial navigation, piloting, steering, anchoring, mooring, maintenance, and rules regulations, for vessels greater than 1600 GRT.
- Demonstrate proper procedural competencies while participating on vessels greater than 1600 GRT.
- Use acquired skills to operate vessel equipment and function as a member of the ship's crew. The student will operate vessel equipment according to protocol while functioning as a member of the ship's crew.
- Relate knowledge they had accrued through prior academics and shipboard experience to the expectations of the officers and crew.
- Demonstrate base competencies during an internship aboard an operating vessel.
- Create a comprehensive sea project during the internship experience.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Become sensitive to the human aspects of living and working among a diverse group of co-workers.
Learning How to Learn:
- Recognize the importance of teamwork.
- Evaluate their decision to pursue a career as a sea-going merchant marine officer.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code KUPs for Ratings Forming Part of a Navigation Watch: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6. Able Seaman-Deck: 2.3, 2.4.A, 4.1.A, 4.2.A, 4.3.A, 4.5.A, 4.6, 5.1.A, 5.5, 5.10, 8.1.A, 8.2.A, 8.5.A, 8.6.A. Officer in Charge of a Navigation Watch: 1.2.A, 1.8.A, 1.8.B, 1.9, 2.6.A.