This course will introduce students to the complexities of working with clay. Students will be introduced to the pottery wheel and will explore the wheel as a tool to make functional and sculptural objects. This class will also explore a variety of hand-building techniques as well as various firing processes. Group 2 course.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the ceramic process from start to finish.
- Apply the principles and elements of design to their ceramic artwork.
- Apply ceramic design techniques and strategies in project construction.
- Demonstrate how to create complex artwork by combining basic molds and simple shapes.
- Synthesize design elements and principles to create innovative, original artwork.
- Assimilate skill sets to create 3-dimensional clay objects; both functional and nonfunctional.
- Increase their understanding of the ceramic process by comparing and contrasting other artwork to their own.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Critique ceramic projects with peers and others.
- Use the content in this course to inform and help others and themselves.
- Articulate ideas and resolve issues in their artwork through self-reflection and feedback from others.
Learning How to Learn:
- Recognize the unique qualities their hand-building methods create in one of a kind designs.
- Blend mastery of hand-building methods with their own imagination to develop unique art objects.