Introduction to types, purposes and stages of interviewing. Basis empathy skill development will be for observation, listening, non-verbal communications, rapport building, information giving and information gathering. Beginning training in recording and documentation. Emphasis will be on self-monitoring and working with culturally diverse, oppressed or psychologically maladaptive clients. In addition, we will explore building relationships with clients that is focused on the strengths of the client. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies SWK 121
, SWK 170
, completion of ENG 111
/11 or placement into ENG 111
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Communications - Direct, Critical Thinking - Direct
Other college designations supported by this course
Infused: Writing Intensive
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the various types of communication.
- Identify the stages of an effective interview process.
- Create a non-judgmental atmosphere that is client-focused.
- Assess the strengths of clients to create a service plan.
- Apply the concepts of cultural competency when working with clients.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Identify their own sensitive areas that may effect their ability to work with certain populations.
Learning How to Learn:
- Demonstrate empathy for the individual and unique needs of client populations.
- Collaborate to create videos demonstrating their learning as effective interviewers.