This course is designed to familiarize the student with hydraulic theory, internal transmission powerflow, electronic control and torque converter operation. All aspects of transmission operation will be covered as well as removal, overhaul, and installation procedures. Students will remove, dyno-test, and install actual failed units in the lab. Group 2 course.
Instructor signature required
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe operation and design of current automatic transmissions using current automotive system nomenclature.
- Use the results of diagnostic strategies to service/tear down/rebuild automatic transmissions.
- Apply problem solving strategies to resolve issues with automatic transmissions systems.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Discuss course information with others regarding engine performance.
Learning How to Learn:
- Service a vehicle owned by a customer using recommended shop procedures.
- Demonstrate mastery of automatic transmission concepts as tested by the State of Michigan.