Through structured classroom and hands-on skill building, the student will learn about various roofing materials and applications, window and door installation, siding, cornice design and installation, gutters, downspouts, decks and fences. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Placement into MTH 23
or higher, or co-enrollment in the recommended developmental math course. Placement into ENG 11
/111 or higher, or co-enrollment in the recommended English course.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Explain advanced building design and materials.
- Identify window and door material.
- Describe deck material and design.
- Identify gutter/downspout material.
- Research materials used in modern construction.
- Design deck layouts.
- Complete a roofing and siding project.
- Recognize the Impact of improper materials for specific buildings.
- Distinguish differences in trim techniques, decks and fence design.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Judge if working construction outdoors suits them.
- Analyze the variety of demands and expectations of society.
Learning How to Learn:
- Appreciate how careful planning of building structures can save time, money, and reduce waste.
- Continue quality work practices learned in class in real-life situations.