This course will provide senior cadets with the experience of supervising subordinate cadets. This experience will include job planning, sequencing of tasks, tools and equipment needed, and personnel required to complete the job. The student will experience what it will be like to be responsible for the crew both in terms of safety and output. STCW
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the principles of leadership.
- Describe the processes required to work in teams onboard a large merchant vessel.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Job planning.
- Sequencing of tasks.
- Determination of tools and equipment needed.
- Determination of personnel required to complete the job.
- Make the connection with the steps involved, and the sequencing required to ensure tasks are completed in a time sensitive manner.
- Perform tasks as professional merchant mariners.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as leaders.
- Work collaboratively with junior cadets.
Learning How to Learn:
- Relate leadership styles to applicable tasks while underway on a vessel.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for Officer in Charge of a Navigation Watch: 18.5.A.