This is a basic course that when completed a student will know the fundamentals and be able to operate common machine tool equipment like an engine lathe, band saw and vertical milling machine. Also covered will be measuring and inspection tools, drill press and surface plate.
Completion of first academic year. All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Learn to safely operate machinery including the drill press, band saw, engine lathe, milling machine, and grinders.
- Evaluate the finished machine piece work to the given specifications.
- Recognize the capabilities and limitations of the various machining operations.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Recognize their ability for working with power tools.
- Develop an appreciation for the importance of attention to detail, precise measurement, and safety.
Learning How to Learn:
- Recognize the importance of basic safety procedures.
- Learn to look after their own safety and that of team mates.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch: 8.1.A.