Through structured classroom and hands-on skill building, the student will learn foundation design, layout, concrete material forms, and applications. Floor, wall, ceiling and roof framing will be covered, as well as basic stair layout and construction. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Placement in MTH 23
or co-enrollment in the recommended developmental Math course, placement into ENG 11
/111 or co-enrollment in the recommended English course.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify foundational design and materials.
- Identify framing construction design and materials.
- Describe basic stair design and layout.
- Design foundations using a variety of material.
- Construct floors, walls, ceilings, and roofs.
- Create basic stair layouts.
- Demonstrate understanding of framing construction.
- Prepare a basic staircase construction.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Recognize the rigors of construction.
- Work collaboratively with other trades and each other.
Learning How to Learn:
- Value the care and use of hand and power tools.
- Appreciate proper measuring and cutting techniques to eliminate waste.
- Identify their learning styles and aptitude for construction.