This is the fourth of a four-semester/two-year sequence of the study of piano. Objectives are the cultivation of technical-musical awareness and keyboard playing ability. Group 2 course.
Required Prerequisites MUS 206
, equivalent competency or instructor permission.
Corequisites MUS 202
, MUS 204
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify basic elements of music notation such as clefs, pitches, and elements of rhythm.
- Identify intervals and triads.
- Identify simple syncopated rhythms.
- Identify simple harmonic progressions.
- Play all major and selected minor scales, two octaves, hands together.
- Play chord progressions in all major keys.
- Transpose melodies and harmonies.
- Harmonize using chord symbols.
- Play scores written for instruments other than the piano.
- Play solo and ensemble repertoire.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as artists.
- Collaborate with others in a creative environment.
- Recognize the personal and societal importance of self-expression and creativity.
Learning How to Learn:
- Express interest in music from other cultures and genres.
- Value differences in cultural expressions of creativity.
- Recognize the role music plays as an expression of social concerns.
- Read study effectively.
- Frame useful questions.
- Develop educational goals.
- Direct/regulate their own learning.
- Learn through collaboration.