This course is a continuation of MNG 318
and is designed to further enhance the cadet's professional knowledge and sailing time to meet the licensing requirements of the U.S. Coast Guard, STCW and the criteria established by the Maritime Administration. STCW.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Develop skills with: ship's engineering equipment, generators and controls, electrical distribution systems, electric motors and controls, electrical maintenance, steering and deck machinery, bow thrusters and propellers, and ship's unloading systems.
- Create a comprehensive report detailing the responsibilities of a merchant marine engineering officer.
- Meet a ship Chief Engineer' expectations by integrating academic knowledge into real-world situations.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Describe the duties of a ship's officer based on observing and assisting in ship board life.
Learning How to Learn:
- Describe the importance of teamwork within a diverse workforce and culture.
- Develop as followers and leaders.
- Complete written research reports as instructed.