Students will engage in use of force, de-escalation and crisis intervention scenarios with the Apex Officer virtual reality training simulator. Training will include comprehensive case law study followed by real-time monitoring, recording and playback review. Automated training reports will provide insight into training progression. Debriefing and review will be conducted by law enforcement professionals with content expertise. Group 2 course.
Must be approved by MCOLES and registered with the Director of the Police Academy prior to enrollment.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Recognize examples of case law and current legal precedent.
- Explain how societal views and expectations impact the law enforcement field.
- Apply background information, case law, legal definitions, and current precedents to training scenarios that depict a variety of real-life situations.
- Evaluate their decision-making processes in training scenarios in debriefing sessions with the instructor and/or subject matter expert.
- Differentiate appropriate uses of force, de-escalation, and crisis intervention skills when responding to a variety of law enforcement service calls.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Be aware of the way their application of current case law, appropriate use of force, de-escalation, and crisis intervention skills impacts victims, suspects, and the community at large.
Learning How to Learn:
- Explore how societal changes and the interpretation and precedent of case law affect appropriate officer intervention.
- Identify personal learning preferences and barriers.
- Reflect upon the impact of real-life scenarios to the learning process.