This course will introduce the cadet to the shipboard hydraulic and pneumatic systems. The cadet will be introduced to the principles of fluid power: theory, components construction, operation, installation and maintenance, with an overview of these systems on a ship. STCW.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Learn safe operation of all aspects of a ships unloading system.
- Learn maintenance procedures for all aspects of a ships unloading system.
- Identify the components of a vessel's unloading systems.
- Identify the procedures for maintenance of a vessel's unloading equipment.
- Demonstrate repair processes for merchant vessel unloading systems.
- Demonstrate maintenance procedures for merchant vessel unloading systems.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- See themselves as a key component of a large organization,.
- View knowledge of repair and operation as integral to the safe operation of a vessel, and its ability to function as a commercial entity.
Learning How to Learn:
- Appreciate the importance of safely functioning machinery.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies for Ratings Forming Part of an Engineering Watch: 1.2.B.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies for Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch: 4.1.A.