Reviews ethical/legal responsibilities of the LPN. Presents issues and trends related to LPN practice, nursing organizations, continuing education; and licensure. Discusses occupational opportunities and provides information on employment search, job-seeking skills and transition issues. Group 2 course.
Required Prerequisites HNR 125
with a grade of 2.5 or higher, and HNR 126
with an S, may be taken concurrently
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify ethical and legal standards for the licensed practical nurse.
- Identify employment opportunities for the licensed practical nurse.
- Explain basic mental health/illness topics.
- Identify current issues and trends in health care as they affect the licensed practical nurse.
- Identify guidelines to prepare for a job interview.
- Create a professional job search portfolio including a resume, cover letter, and thank you letter.
- Identify the functions, goals and membership requirements of professional organizations for licensed practical nurses.
- Analyze his/her own leadership qualities.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Compare and contrast the attributes of leaders versus managers.
Learning How to Learn:
- Explain ways nurses can assist patients and families at the end-of-life.
- Create a learning plan to prepare for the NCLEX-PN exam.