This course provides an introduction to residential carpentry. Through structured classroom and hands-on skill building, the student will learn about the construction industry, building materials, fasteners and adhesives, hand and power tools, introduction to print reading, and floor systems. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Placement into MTH 23
or higher, or co-enrollment in the recommended developmental math course. Placement into ENG 11
/111 or higher, or co-enrollment in the recommended English course.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify simple construction materials.
- List general hand and power tools.
- Describe construction site safety.
- Demonstrate familiarization of materials, fasteners, adhesives.
- Show understanding of construction blueprints.
- Classify fundamentals of construction methods and materials.
- Distinguish safety rules to follow on a construction work site.
- Apply mathematics to develop construction measurements.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Mentor others to help develop skills.
Learning How to Learn:
- Realize the importance of establishing a well measured shell for the rest of the construction crew.
- Discover areas needing growth.