Students will learn the skills needed to read and understand construction drawings, as well as an understanding of manufacturers' literature of component parts used in buildings. Both commercial and residential construction materials and drawings are studied. Problems encountered in design development such as site limitations, zoning restrictions, utility availability, coordination of product specifications, adherence to building codes and life safety are explored. Group 2 course.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Placement into MTH 111
or co-enrollment in MTH 08
or 23, placement into ENG 111
or co-enrollment in ENG 99
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify specific blueprint information needed in the project.
- Analyze the design process needed to develop construction blueprints.
- Integrate knowledge of blueprint reading as it relates to building construction projects.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Resolve elementary problems with blueprints with design professionals.
Learning How to Learn:
- Communicate construction questions and issues.
- Develop a skill set for quick identification of information within a set of construction blueprints