This course provides an introduction to essential construction skills. Through structured classroom and hands-on skill building, the student will be introduced to the construction industry, building materials, safety, hand and power tools, print reading, construction math, communication and employability skills. Group 2 course.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify simple construction materials.
- List general hand and power tools.
- Describe construction site safety.
- Demonstrate familiarization of hand and power tool use and care.
- Show understanding of construction blueprints.
- Perform basic construction math.
- Integrate job site knowledge and safety with communication skills.
- Distinguish safety rules to follow on a construction work site.
- Apply mathematics to develop construction measurements.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Mentor others to help develop skills.
Learning How to Learn:
- Realize the importance of establishing good rapport with fellow workers, employers, and customers.
- Will discover areas to seek further training.
- Understand areas of more significant interest and aptitude.