This course meets the mandatory minimum requirements specified under STCW as related to proficiency in medical first aid for all merchant mariners. This course is part of the STCW certification process. Cadets will learn to take immediate action upon encountering an accident or other medical emergency. STCW.
All prerequisites for all GLMA courses are satisfied by following the approved Course Sequence Guide and any deviation from this guide needs to be approved by the cadet's adviser.
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Describe the function and structure of the human body.
- Describe the toxicological hazards they will encounter onboard a modern merchant vessel.
- Examine a shipmate to determine injuries; spinal, burn, bone fractures, pharmacology issues and cardiac arrest.
- Take immediate action upon encountering an accident or other medical emergency.
- Assess medical situations to determine the appropriate course of action.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Come to see themselves as first responders onboard a merchant vessel.
- See themselves as a person who can render immediate aid to an injured shipmate.
Learning How to Learn:
- Develop a sense of the broad responsibilities of a licensed officer including delivering immediate first aid.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUPs) for Medical First Aid Provider.
- Demonstrate the STCW Code KUPs for Officer in Charge of a Navigation Watch: 14.1, 16.1.